All about The Journey Of Flower aka Hua Qiangu, the TV series



10 Latest/Updated posts
Loading...

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE

There are 2 versions of this series; the Hunan TV version which is shorter, more episodes and about 15 minutes ahead with possible more or lesser scene and the Uncut version which is longer per episode and is about 15 minutes slower. Uncut doesn't mean it is not censored. I am following the Uncut version, so all the videos for download and recaps are based on Uncut version. The subbers at Viki is also following the uncut version. Please take note of that.

All pictures are thumbnails, even if animated images so do click on them for the original size!
Don't bookmark specific posts except for Episode Reviews because they're dynamic; I will often update the post with latest date, so better to use http://p2e-hqg.blogspot.com/ and you can always find the link in the sidebars.

I welcome comments, I welcome spoilers so post away. I mean I already know the ending!




A SHORT OPINION ON THE SERIES

8.9.15 Written by Funn Lim 5 Comments Post a comment
Reposted from SPCNET Forums where I raved and ranted.



Please don't remind me.. heart sick.. I've ranted, I've angered, I am sure even the directors have ranted and angered over executive decisions and abandoned this to the outer forces.

It is just a great series butchered. If it was a bad series, fine, but sigh....

In retrospect, I will just say this. It should have been 70 episodes. It should not have been broadcast over HUnan. The statistics isn't helping. I hated the ending, I don't get the flying in the night. I don't see why it is a happy ending as BZH lives in fear she will remember the past. BUT the last scene before her death, she cursed him out of love, but it has no effect since like an angry woman rant rather than proper curse, she said what she said out of regret with a tinge of hope but in the end she said it out of frustration. She still loved him no matter what. The dialogue seems intact in her death scene. 

What I hate is BZH saying he was wrong lar, he regretted lar.. because ever notice even at the end, he never did say out he loved her. In the end he maintained a shifu/disciple platonic albeit lots of touching relationship with her. In the end it went back to square one. But because this HQG is simple minded (faculties not all there) it is easier to deal with. That is not a happy ending. So to be happy a woman needs to be less smart because expect too much will only hurt you.

As for BZH, I feel sad for this dude. I love him, he felt so real, and it hurts that last  episodes or so he is reduced to a crybaby. He doesn;t deal with emotions well, he is better off without it. Yeah suddenly he is in love. I take an alt interpretation. THe scar hurts because he feels sexual desire. I don't see it hurting before he tongue kissed her on the bed (censored of course so according to this series BZH just went down on his knees and sobbed hard because of nothing). The editing makes it all so terrible and trivial. But the characterisation doesn't convince me he ever truly really in love with her. It is more like deep regret, much like MXL and Qingshui of course the series meant otherwise. I hate how a great BZH is reduced to nothing and fans are rejoicing at this "happy" ending when I see it as the ultimate sad ending. I now understand how Mo Yan feels. I also see SXM's point who is the true BZH. BZH is fake BZH.

Poor MXL. Poor poor MXL and how come Qingshui is insane? Why make her insane? Is this her just dessert for one mistake? So NMT had it easy. I don't get NMT and never will and I hate how the series is trying to paint her. Her so called DFYQ punishment.. where? Can't see it. Back to Qingshui, she doesn't deserve this end.

HQG had it easy doesn't she? In the end she got what she wanted. She went back to the way things were. Unfortunately the price was too big for that. I hated how even to the end she is trying to force BZH to admit to whatever she wants him to admit and then forces him to kill her so he will remember her for the rest of his miserable life.

This series tones down on the book's suffering, correct? I love the acting, I love the costumes, I love the idea, I love the individual characters but I dislike the story, I dislike the narrative and I HATE the editing.

In the end story wise, I am never convinced by BZH's love or HQG's attitude towards love. This is not a love story. The book may be about obsession but the series tells me love kills, love destroys, love doesn't giveth, it taketh and in the end screw the world, because as long we have each other, the others' sacrifice is of no significance. All these thanks to the stupid editing. I am sure the original series would have made the story a more beautiful one.

Because of this editing, DFYQ has just resurrected himself and said "Boy was I glad I died before all the nonsense".

I have never seen a series' story butchered the way this was.  Never. Now I know. Ciwen should have refused all promotion for this version or even broadcast it. But for practicality sake, they can't. It pains me, pains me so deeply.

Performance wise, Liying impresses until her HQG had a reboot. Everybody else impresses. Ma Ke was impressive, a breakout star but my special place in my heart is Wallace. His best performance todate and he spent most of the time sick or dying or puking blood or crying hard. Most expressive I have seen him when he started without much expression.


Like one of the post said, the problem is FGG painted such a perfect picture of BZH in the beginning, same as was this series and so his descend to being a mere mortal is in the end the most disappointing aspect. This series does not celebrate love; if anything it is a cautionary tale against love and against being too dead set on anything. Be like SXM. He is the perfect immortal, without hate, without prejudice, without love, without anger, without pain, all 100% compassion. He should attain his 10th level soon if he can detach from his inability to commit to anything.

UPDATES - 10.09.2015
I have calmed down and then see loads of leaked pictures and I am caught up again and after some thought I came to the following conclusion;

I remember the fated calamity is meant to bring the downfall of the one who meets the fated calamity. In a way it came true. At the end he is no longer Bai Zihua. He was a simple mortal like man controlled by his emotions and love and fear for HQG. He is no longer seeing beyond their small house and has in effect turned his back from the world preferring a quiet life with a woman he loves and yet won't marry and prefer to maintain the way things were back to square one. So in a way, he has his downfall except he is willing to have that downfall. Is he happier? I am not quite sure. Well she is.

I am sorry if I sound sorta bitter. The author has invested years and her love and imagination to these character, I just invested approx 50 hours of my time and attention towards the characters. The more I remember, the more I see the full picture, the more I wonder do I really love this series as in genuine love? Because when I heard about the book, I disliked the story. I felt it was such a punishing story that has no rewards. But as things were explained and I see this series toning things a bit down in terms of characterisation, I love it until the editing got to me and in the end I see the 2nd act of the 1st broadcast version as the worst representation of the story by author and the 3rd act, the ending nailed the coffin for me. I fail to see how it is a romantic nor happy ending nor do I see as a whole how this is a story about sacrifice and love. All I see is a story with a serious problem; it can't stop being tragic for tragic sake and it doesn't help that the editing left a lot of questions unanswered. A proper director's cut will address all that issues. This series is capable of bettering the book's contents; winding down on the creepiness and all that. But what I can't stand is from the book to the series, almost everyone is putting HQG's suffering on BZH. I feel this is the author's weakest point. She loved BZH and yet the things she wrote gave people a different perspective. There are many ways to bring downfall to someone but the way BZH spectacularly fell to earth because of love and everyone celebrating that to me is the view of a young person. Disappointingly the series did not make the adjustment in that area. Wallace was right; in his interview he said BZH's love requires a certain level of maturity to see but unfortunately the series went along the teenager view and made it so darn obvious.

I thought Chinese Paladin III's ending was poignant and much more beautiful in a story about 2 people where fated to be together but destined to be apart.

In short I am just really really really angry that my BZH is destroyed. And I blame HQG.

5 comments:

  1. I think in the book we can know the channel of BXH's thoughts, his pains and his ponders especially toward the end of the book, so we can feel more of his feeling compared to the series. Definitely the rush ending ruined BXH's portray which Wallace did a marvellous job so far. Anyway HQG has ended with a disappointed note even with happy ending as fans want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, did anyone watch the JOURNEY OF FLOWER CELEBRATION BANQUET? I watched it on youtube. Not very well taken but ok, at least the camera man focused on WH. Anyone noticed that NMT kept looking at WH (like trying to get his attention) & she was standing so close to him all the time, like shoulder rubbing shoulder. It simply looked too obvious onscreen, imagine offscreen. But I do like the "questions/answers" session where he stood close to LY, his sense of humour is really funny. Both were really at ease with each other & I like the way she calls him SHIFU. It's so personal, like this priviledge is for her only. I still cannot imagine the drama ended on a lousy note.

    Also, did anyone watch Yun Zhong Ge? How's the rating compared to TJOF? I'm not watching because I'm not a fan of Angelababy & whoever the male lead is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I notice too, quite strategically placed. But she wasn't really looking at him, just general direction. Shifu is a nickname due to popularity of their roles. He stopped calling her Xiao Ying. But I don't think he or they were at ease with one another .,I thought they looked awkward. He looked distracted, probably tired and back pain. And he is leaning closer to Frida aka nmt. Anyway nmt is rumoured with Lang ge ge. She is being a typical huomi. Cant blame her. Rubbing shoulder is because everyone is so close. If zdf or mk or jx were there she wouldn't be in that position.

      Delete
    2. Everyone does call him zun Shang. Pls don't start the whole "he is dating her" " nonsense again. Like what zly said if anything happens will,depend beyond just working together. I will say nmt has more chance. He does seem rather soft with her but do put everyone at ease no one is dating Wallace yet.

      Delete
  3. Oh really awkward? I thought they looked fine. But WH looked distracted. Perhaps is his back pain plus he was coughing afew sounds. LY seemed to be talking more. In previous interviews she was less chatty.
    I guess everyone ship WH/LY because of BZH/HQG. Unfortunately most of us (me included) sometimes can't separate real life from reel life. And also we feel shortchanged about the ending plus the censorship so there's this void waiting to be filled up.
    I don't know abt LY because i'm actually not a fan of hers. I watched the drama for WH only. Despite being so popular/fame, he remains a down-to-earth person, low profile & I personally like artistes who keep their personal life private instead of broadcasting to the whole universe (i mean that's my personal opinion). I dislike artistes who uses the media to gain fame, like for example, buy car for darling also must let the whole world know, buy house for darling also must let the whole world know. I really really hope WH finds a good girl to settle down (soon). All these gossips & rumours about him will chase a good girl away before it even started....
    Btw, have you watched Cruel Romance? If you have, can tell me how you feel about it? If you've not, may I advise you to take a deep breath before you start. Apart from it being different from the novel, the drama started to go downhill from episode 30 to the end. I mean, the plot is bad from that time forth. Although it might be Huang Xiao Ming best performance so far but i found Joe Chen a little too 'old' to act an innocent girl although she does the weeping scenes very well. Both have great chemistry.

    ReplyDelete

Please avoid listing spoilers for future episodes. You can write those speculations and spoilers in the post about Speculations and Spoilers. No vulgarity. Other than that, post away!

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks